yabadaba
07-05 03:31 PM
"Mike Aytes, head of domestic operations for the USCIS, said all 147,141 employment-based green cards have now been issued for the year. "We are very sympathetic to the fact that people really had expectations … Folks spent a lot of time and effort, but it turned out they couldn't file, after all," he said."
wallpaper lettering styles z. graffiti
gcny2006
07-11 12:14 AM
We should better target each and every senators/congress in the judicial panel which oversees immigration with a message and a request to look into VB fiasco and recapturing of EB numbers .
May be some of those message through flowers / community services in that particular leader district /meeting them with a group of people
lets not over do it. There is a thin line between it being tolerated and backfiring
May be some of those message through flowers / community services in that particular leader district /meeting them with a group of people
lets not over do it. There is a thin line between it being tolerated and backfiring
illusions
04-07 11:13 AM
Wish u all the best.... wow 6 years...!
2011 Alphabet tattoo in standard
harryom
03-24 06:05 PM
:oCan anyone explain to me how to create new thread, I don't see any options.
Thanks Gurus':o
Mr. HarryOm,
I was really hoping to get my question answered thru this thread. Can you please open another thread for yours ?
Thanks,
ampudhukode
Thanks Gurus':o
Mr. HarryOm,
I was really hoping to get my question answered thru this thread. Can you please open another thread for yours ?
Thanks,
ampudhukode
more...
cr125rider
04-16 01:59 AM
LOL, XBOX Stamp, that was mine, LOL! Its okay, you actually helped with one of mine :D

snram4
01-09 07:49 PM
First of all CIR means it will take care of potential immigrants at the same time gives protection to US workers. Everyone thinks that CIR is just giving benefit for illegal and legal immigrants. But american people wanted both ways. For legailizing illegal immigrants people want future illegal immigration should be stopped that is enforcement. Pro immigrants does not like enforcement even after legailizing 12 million illegal immigrants and trying to dilute and also by putting the condition that we need more guest workers also.
Similarly our legal immigrants group want unlimited H1b and green card. They do not care about past american workers. Lawyers want more business and Corporations want easy access to low paid and highly intelligent and young workers and will be interested in getting rid of high paid persons. So they are making a big noise even because of H1B restriction though there are so many benefits in EB reform in Guitierez Bill. Because of H1b restriction only low paid H1bs and also bodyshoppers will be impacted. Really high skilled people will not have any impact as all of the restrictions can be easily met by them.
this is a fair analysis..... gutierrez doesn't care for anyone as long as there is a provision for legalization...... he doesn't care for family unity either.... he just wants "legalization"...... but he could have done this without walking on me & beating me down.... in that sense it could it be interpreted that gutierrez is a jerk.... & like grassley..... he hates people like us.....
Similarly our legal immigrants group want unlimited H1b and green card. They do not care about past american workers. Lawyers want more business and Corporations want easy access to low paid and highly intelligent and young workers and will be interested in getting rid of high paid persons. So they are making a big noise even because of H1B restriction though there are so many benefits in EB reform in Guitierez Bill. Because of H1b restriction only low paid H1bs and also bodyshoppers will be impacted. Really high skilled people will not have any impact as all of the restrictions can be easily met by them.
this is a fair analysis..... gutierrez doesn't care for anyone as long as there is a provision for legalization...... he doesn't care for family unity either.... he just wants "legalization"...... but he could have done this without walking on me & beating me down.... in that sense it could it be interpreted that gutierrez is a jerk.... & like grassley..... he hates people like us.....
more...

cerers
08-08 10:47 PM
FAQ #2 - clarified that forms with “Y” designation means that prior version of the form will not be rejected.
Q29: The version date on the new I-485 form is 7/30/07 and it has an "N" designation after it, meaning that the I-485 applications arriving at the service center on or after July 30, 2007 must use the new I-485 form or it will be rejected at the mailroom. Is this really true?
A29. No, the “N” designation on the new version was inadvertently uploaded to the USCIS website and has since been removed. The new and corrected I-485 application form that will be uploaded will have the “Y” designation which means that prior version of the form will not be rejected.
Q29: The version date on the new I-485 form is 7/30/07 and it has an "N" designation after it, meaning that the I-485 applications arriving at the service center on or after July 30, 2007 must use the new I-485 form or it will be rejected at the mailroom. Is this really true?
A29. No, the “N” designation on the new version was inadvertently uploaded to the USCIS website and has since been removed. The new and corrected I-485 application form that will be uploaded will have the “Y” designation which means that prior version of the form will not be rejected.
2010 tattoo lettering styles.

hiralal
10-08 04:40 PM
Visa Bulletin for November 2010 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5172.html)
more...
beppenyc
02-04 08:05 AM
ALAN CHOATE AND TYLER PETERSON - Daily Herald
Congress should move forward on immigration reform now that the U.S. House of Representatives has new leadership, Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, said Friday.
The issue has been stalled, Cannon said, because of a decision by former House majority leader Tom DeLay, the congressman from Texas who has become embroiled in campaign finance scandals.
U.S. Rep. John Boehner of Ohio was picked to replace DeLay as majority leader on Thursday, and immigration legislation is high on his agenda, Cannon told Utah legislators.
He said legislation for a guest worker program should emerge soon that could include requirements for English instruction and health insurance.
"That should be done by, I hope, the end of April," Cannon said.
His comments came in response to a question from state Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper, who criticized Congress' "absolute failure" to provide a process for regulating immigrant labor. Cannon also expressed sympathy for the struggles of state legislators who must balance budgets even when the federal government cuts revenue -- for programs like Medicaid, for example -- that had been provided previously.
"The pain of that is great," he said. "I would love to tell you we're never going to cut your budget again."
His proposed solution is to reduce the size and authority of the federal government: "The best way to govern in America is to let the states do it," he said.
Cannon made those comments on the Senate floor after answering three different questions from representatives on the House floor: How do we get the federal government out of our hair? When will federal government allow us to make more decisions on what we fund? and Why is federal government always overriding states' rights?
Cannon said the solution is to keep the money within state budgets, because as long as federal government has it, they share accountability.
He said the will in the U.S. House is to give states more discretion
Congress should move forward on immigration reform now that the U.S. House of Representatives has new leadership, Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, said Friday.
The issue has been stalled, Cannon said, because of a decision by former House majority leader Tom DeLay, the congressman from Texas who has become embroiled in campaign finance scandals.
U.S. Rep. John Boehner of Ohio was picked to replace DeLay as majority leader on Thursday, and immigration legislation is high on his agenda, Cannon told Utah legislators.
He said legislation for a guest worker program should emerge soon that could include requirements for English instruction and health insurance.
"That should be done by, I hope, the end of April," Cannon said.
His comments came in response to a question from state Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper, who criticized Congress' "absolute failure" to provide a process for regulating immigrant labor. Cannon also expressed sympathy for the struggles of state legislators who must balance budgets even when the federal government cuts revenue -- for programs like Medicaid, for example -- that had been provided previously.
"The pain of that is great," he said. "I would love to tell you we're never going to cut your budget again."
His proposed solution is to reduce the size and authority of the federal government: "The best way to govern in America is to let the states do it," he said.
Cannon made those comments on the Senate floor after answering three different questions from representatives on the House floor: How do we get the federal government out of our hair? When will federal government allow us to make more decisions on what we fund? and Why is federal government always overriding states' rights?
Cannon said the solution is to keep the money within state budgets, because as long as federal government has it, they share accountability.
He said the will in the U.S. House is to give states more discretion
hair tattoo lettering styles

pappu
01-05 11:24 AM
any predictions for Feb 2009 :D:D
Tough to predict due to porting done from EB3 to EB2. All old EB3 PDs that ported to EB2 will have priority over newer EB2 PDs
Tough to predict due to porting done from EB3 to EB2. All old EB3 PDs that ported to EB2 will have priority over newer EB2 PDs
more...
test101
07-17 07:42 PM
yeah why bank statment? My attoreny did say anything about tax return either ? are you sureeeeeeeeeeeee?
hot View alphabetthere are soup
eb3retro
12-13 10:05 AM
The U.S. Department of State (DOS) Visa Bulletin for January 2008 contains more bad news for Indian nationals in the EB2 category. The cutoff date for EB2, India, retrogressed by two additional years, to January 1, 2000. Moreover, the prediction contained in the Visa Bulletin for EB2, India, is that the annual limit could be reached within the next few months. If this occurs, the category will become "unavailable" for the remainder of the fiscal year.
The explanation for this is simply that demand for visa numbers by the USCIS for EB2, India, adjustment-of-status cases far exceeds supply
EB3 cutoff dates either remained unchanged or moved slightly forward, depending upon country of chargeability. The January Visa Bulletin cutoff dates become effective on January 1, 2008. Until that time, the December 2007 Visa Bulletin cutoff dates remain valid.
thanks
ram
good morning sunshine...
The explanation for this is simply that demand for visa numbers by the USCIS for EB2, India, adjustment-of-status cases far exceeds supply
EB3 cutoff dates either remained unchanged or moved slightly forward, depending upon country of chargeability. The January Visa Bulletin cutoff dates become effective on January 1, 2008. Until that time, the December 2007 Visa Bulletin cutoff dates remain valid.
thanks
ram
good morning sunshine...
more...
house Lettering Tattoo Designs.
hiralal
10-08 04:40 PM
Visa Bulletin for November 2010 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5172.html)
tattoo Bump engravedcreatedtattoo fonts, styles Tattoo+lettering+styles+alphabet
sunny1000
01-27 05:40 PM
We recd. our 485 approval last week and recd. the cards in the mail earlier this week. We were interviewed at the local USCIS for our 485's, 2 weeks ago. It went really smooth and case was approved the same day as the interview.
I would like to whole-heartedly thank IV core and all IV members. This site has been an amazing resource of information & support for us thru our journey. I became a IV member during the July 2007 fiasco. We were there at the IV rally in DC in Sept 2007, have attended local chapter meetings. We will continue to support IV in it's mission.
Thanks everybody.!
EB-II (India)
PD - April 2006
Filed 485 (spouse & myself) - July 2007
485 Approved / Cards recd - January 2011.
congrats and good luck!
I would like to whole-heartedly thank IV core and all IV members. This site has been an amazing resource of information & support for us thru our journey. I became a IV member during the July 2007 fiasco. We were there at the IV rally in DC in Sept 2007, have attended local chapter meetings. We will continue to support IV in it's mission.
Thanks everybody.!
EB-II (India)
PD - April 2006
Filed 485 (spouse & myself) - July 2007
485 Approved / Cards recd - January 2011.
congrats and good luck!
more...
pictures lettering styles alphabet.
vbkris77
01-25 05:02 PM
It is upto employer lawyer to help.. It is a bad remark on the company.. So approach your company and have them work with consulate..
I am in a distress please help me. I attended the US consulate for a new H1B Visa. The visa was refused under 221(g). The reason mentioned for the refusal was:
Your petitioner does not appear to be either able or willing to provide qualifying employment in the United States in accordance with appropriate laws and regulations.
VO mentioned the documents will be sent back to USCIS. Pretty much kept all the documents like I-797, I 129, petition documents, certificates, client agreement, etc.
They mentioned the candidate profile is good but they have doubts about the employer. As far as I know and through my research the employer is good and have all the necessary documents correct. There is nothing wrong in the documentation and every thing is as per stipulated guidelines.
The employer has a good employeee strength and I had good feed back from other employees as well. I am pretty sure the employer is in a position to employ and provide the salary. I do not know on what basis the USCIS has come to conclusion that the employer is not qualified. Only few days back there were two visas granted for the same employer.
Please advise me what to do next. I need to do things urgently as I do not have enough time left (only few months ) on the H1 B Validity.
1. Do I need to send a mail to Consulate asking the specific reasons for denial?
2. Do I need to write to the senator or some one about this?
3. Do I need to consult an attorney about and re-request for a review of the petition?
4. Do I need to ask the employer anything specific.
I have been banking on this opportunity for the last two years and had planned everything hoping everything will go smooth. I am in a distress. Please advise me the next steps urgently so I dont loose the opportunity.
I am in a distress please help me. I attended the US consulate for a new H1B Visa. The visa was refused under 221(g). The reason mentioned for the refusal was:
Your petitioner does not appear to be either able or willing to provide qualifying employment in the United States in accordance with appropriate laws and regulations.
VO mentioned the documents will be sent back to USCIS. Pretty much kept all the documents like I-797, I 129, petition documents, certificates, client agreement, etc.
They mentioned the candidate profile is good but they have doubts about the employer. As far as I know and through my research the employer is good and have all the necessary documents correct. There is nothing wrong in the documentation and every thing is as per stipulated guidelines.
The employer has a good employeee strength and I had good feed back from other employees as well. I am pretty sure the employer is in a position to employ and provide the salary. I do not know on what basis the USCIS has come to conclusion that the employer is not qualified. Only few days back there were two visas granted for the same employer.
Please advise me what to do next. I need to do things urgently as I do not have enough time left (only few months ) on the H1 B Validity.
1. Do I need to send a mail to Consulate asking the specific reasons for denial?
2. Do I need to write to the senator or some one about this?
3. Do I need to consult an attorney about and re-request for a review of the petition?
4. Do I need to ask the employer anything specific.
I have been banking on this opportunity for the last two years and had planned everything hoping everything will go smooth. I am in a distress. Please advise me the next steps urgently so I dont loose the opportunity.
dresses fancy tattoo lettering

uma001
10-15 03:14 PM
Hello,
I am currently working as full time and planning to move to consulting. I have the below questions
(i) I know its a bit risky to move to consulting right now compared to Fulltime, but still i See the H1 petetions for most of consutling companies are getting approved.
Do you think is it OK to move to consulting from Full time?
(ii)As client letter is mandatory these dayz, whats the best approach to apply for transfer? Like e finding the project and proceed for premium processing
Thanks
1 - Start preparing resume
2 - Post it on job posting sites
3 - You will get lot of calls if your skills are in demand.
4 -If you know any consultancy talk to them regarding your H1.
5 - They will say your H1 will be filed once you get the project. Talk about the terms.
6 - As soon as you get the project ask your employer to file labor.
7 - Tell interviewer you need two weeks notice.This will give time to file H1
8 - Within two weeks your employer shoul file your H1.
9 - As soon as you get your receipt number, join the client to work.
Pretty simple right. If your target is to get green card, Do not think about anything else, you will get scared.
I am currently working as full time and planning to move to consulting. I have the below questions
(i) I know its a bit risky to move to consulting right now compared to Fulltime, but still i See the H1 petetions for most of consutling companies are getting approved.
Do you think is it OK to move to consulting from Full time?
(ii)As client letter is mandatory these dayz, whats the best approach to apply for transfer? Like e finding the project and proceed for premium processing
Thanks
1 - Start preparing resume
2 - Post it on job posting sites
3 - You will get lot of calls if your skills are in demand.
4 -If you know any consultancy talk to them regarding your H1.
5 - They will say your H1 will be filed once you get the project. Talk about the terms.
6 - As soon as you get the project ask your employer to file labor.
7 - Tell interviewer you need two weeks notice.This will give time to file H1
8 - Within two weeks your employer shoul file your H1.
9 - As soon as you get your receipt number, join the client to work.
Pretty simple right. If your target is to get green card, Do not think about anything else, you will get scared.
more...
makeup tattoo lettering styles. free

ags123
08-29 11:17 AM
Thanks, Roseball. Thats another thing I am not clear on what they will do with I-140. My prev employer had told me they wouldnt withdraw the I-140 and they would revoke H1 after 90 days. It is exactly 6 months since then. So I am guessing they sent in the H1 revocation 3 months ago and CSC has opened it and cancelled H1 now after 3 more months.
I am hoping they will stick to their word of not withdrawing I-140. However as in my case I was part of a large layoff and I dont know if the lawyers may push employer to witdhraw I-140 just to make some cash withdrawing I-140 for every laid off person.
(In my case I am lucky enough to have the same lawyer represent me in the new company, however they wont discuss anything related to what they do for the old company as it is company confidential. So what happens on approved I-140 is a mystery)
The flip side is that it is only 1 week when I am outside I dont know if my luck is that bad that something happens during this one week. I guess no one will have the answer
Anyways have booked tickets so will watch LUD,status etc till the last minute and then take a chance for one week I guess.
I am hoping they will stick to their word of not withdrawing I-140. However as in my case I was part of a large layoff and I dont know if the lawyers may push employer to witdhraw I-140 just to make some cash withdrawing I-140 for every laid off person.
(In my case I am lucky enough to have the same lawyer represent me in the new company, however they wont discuss anything related to what they do for the old company as it is company confidential. So what happens on approved I-140 is a mystery)
The flip side is that it is only 1 week when I am outside I dont know if my luck is that bad that something happens during this one week. I guess no one will have the answer
Anyways have booked tickets so will watch LUD,status etc till the last minute and then take a chance for one week I guess.
girlfriend Alphabet tattoo in ambigram
purgan
01-06 11:20 PM
What the failure to pass the Appropriations bills means to American science...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YORK TIMES
January 7, 2007
Congressional Budget Delay Stymies Scientific Research
By WILLIAM J. BROAD
The failure of Congress to pass new budgets for the current fiscal year has produced a crisis in science financing that threatens to close major facilities, delay new projects and leave thousands of government scientists out of work, federal and private officials say.
�The consequences for American science will be disastrous,� said Michael S. Lubell, a senior official of the American Physical Society, the world�s largest group of physicists. �The message to young scientists and industry leaders, alike, will be, �Look outside the U.S. if you want to succeed.� �
Last year, Congress passed just 2 of 11 spending bills � for the military and domestic security � and froze all other federal spending at 2006 levels. Factoring in inflation, the budgets translate into reductions of about 3 percent to 4 percent for most fields of science and engineering.
Representative Rush D. Holt, a New Jersey Democrat and a physicist, said that scientists, in most cases, were likely to see little or no relief. �It�s that bad,� Mr. Holt said. �For this year, it�s going to be belt tightening all around.�
Congressional Democrats said last month that they would not try to finish multiple spending bills left hanging by the departed Republican majority and would instead keep most government agencies operating under their current budgets until next fall. Except for the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security, the government is being financed under a stopgap resolution. It expires Feb. 15, and Democrats said they planned to extend a similar resolution through Sept. 30.
Some Republicans favored not finishing the bills because of automatic savings achieved by forgoing expected spending increases. Democrats and Republicans alike say that operating under current budgets, in some cases with less money, can strap federal agencies and lead to major disruptions in service.
Scientists say that is especially true for the physical sciences, which include physics, chemistry and astronomy. When it comes to federal financing, such fields in recent years have fared poorly compared with biology. The National Institutes of Health, for instance, spend more than $28 billion annually on biomedical programs, five times more than all federal spending for physical sciences.
For 2007, Congress and the Bush administration agreed that the federal budget for the physical sciences should get a major increase. A year ago, in his American Competitiveness Initiative, President Bush called for doubling the money for science over a decade. That prompted schools and federal laboratories to prepare for long-deferred repairs and expansions, plans that appear now to be in jeopardy.
Among the projects at risk is the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York, on Long Island. The $600 million machine � 2.4 miles in circumference � slams together subatomic particles to recreate conditions at the beginning of time, some 14 billion years ago, so scientists can study the Big Bang theory. It was already operating partly on charitable contributions, officials say, and now could shut down entirely, throwing its 1,069 specialists into limbo.
�For us, it�s quite serious,� said Sam Aronson, the Brookhaven director. For the nation, Dr. Aronson added, the timing is especially bad because the collider has given the United States a head start on European rivals, who hope to build a more powerful machine.
�Things are pretty miserable for a year in which people talked a lot about regaining our competitive edge,� Dr. Aronson said. �I think all that�s stalled.�
Another potential victim is the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, where a four-mile-long collider investigates the building blocks of matter. Its director, Piermaria Oddone, said the laboratory would close for a month as most of the staff of 4,200 are sent home.
Congress and the Bush administration could restore much of the science financing in the 2008 budget. Scientists say it would help enormously, but add that senior staff members by that point may have already abandoned major projects for other jobs that were more stable.
Other projects affected by the budget freeze include:
�A $1.4 billion particle accelerator at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee meant to probe the fine structure of materials and aid in cutting-edge technologies. Its opening might be delayed a year.
�A $30 million contribution to a global team designing an experimental reactor to fuse atoms rather than break them apart. Controlled fusion, if successful, would offer a nearly inexhaustible source of energy.
�A $440 million X-ray machine some two miles long at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in California that would act like a microscope to peer inside materials, aiding science and industry. Construction, begun last year, would slow.
�It�s pretty bad,� said Burton Richter, a Nobel laureate in physics. �There�s going to be another year of stagnation. That hurts a lot.�
The National Science Foundation, which supports basic research at universities, had expected a $400 million increase over the $5.7 billion budget it received in 2006. Now, the freeze is prompting program cuts, delays and slowdowns.
�It�s rather devastating,� said Jeff Nesbit, the foundation�s head of legislative and public affairs. �While $400 million in the grand scheme of things might seem like decimal dust, it�s hugely important for universities that rely on N.S.F. funding.�
The threatened programs include a $50 million plan to build a supercomputer that universities would use to push back frontiers in science and engineering; a $310 million observatory meant to study the ocean environment from the seabed to the surface; a $62 million contribution to a global program of polar research involving 10 other nations; and a $98 million ship to explore the Arctic, including the thinning of its sheath of floating sea ice.
Missions at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration are also threatened, with $100 million in cuts. Paul Hertz, the chief scientist at NASA�s science mission directorate, said potential victims included programs to explore Mars, astrophysics and space weather.
Physicists said a partial solution to the crisis would let the Energy Department do what it wanted to do all along for 2007: move $500 million left over from environmental cleanup accounts into the physical sciences. That would require Congressional approval but no budget increase.
Raymond L. Orbach, the department�s under secretary for science, in a recent statement seemed to call for such legislative relief.
�A yearlong continuing resolution takes away many of the opportunities for advancing science,� Dr. Orbach said. �We urge Congress to continue critical investments in America�s scientific leadership.�
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YORK TIMES
January 7, 2007
Congressional Budget Delay Stymies Scientific Research
By WILLIAM J. BROAD
The failure of Congress to pass new budgets for the current fiscal year has produced a crisis in science financing that threatens to close major facilities, delay new projects and leave thousands of government scientists out of work, federal and private officials say.
�The consequences for American science will be disastrous,� said Michael S. Lubell, a senior official of the American Physical Society, the world�s largest group of physicists. �The message to young scientists and industry leaders, alike, will be, �Look outside the U.S. if you want to succeed.� �
Last year, Congress passed just 2 of 11 spending bills � for the military and domestic security � and froze all other federal spending at 2006 levels. Factoring in inflation, the budgets translate into reductions of about 3 percent to 4 percent for most fields of science and engineering.
Representative Rush D. Holt, a New Jersey Democrat and a physicist, said that scientists, in most cases, were likely to see little or no relief. �It�s that bad,� Mr. Holt said. �For this year, it�s going to be belt tightening all around.�
Congressional Democrats said last month that they would not try to finish multiple spending bills left hanging by the departed Republican majority and would instead keep most government agencies operating under their current budgets until next fall. Except for the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security, the government is being financed under a stopgap resolution. It expires Feb. 15, and Democrats said they planned to extend a similar resolution through Sept. 30.
Some Republicans favored not finishing the bills because of automatic savings achieved by forgoing expected spending increases. Democrats and Republicans alike say that operating under current budgets, in some cases with less money, can strap federal agencies and lead to major disruptions in service.
Scientists say that is especially true for the physical sciences, which include physics, chemistry and astronomy. When it comes to federal financing, such fields in recent years have fared poorly compared with biology. The National Institutes of Health, for instance, spend more than $28 billion annually on biomedical programs, five times more than all federal spending for physical sciences.
For 2007, Congress and the Bush administration agreed that the federal budget for the physical sciences should get a major increase. A year ago, in his American Competitiveness Initiative, President Bush called for doubling the money for science over a decade. That prompted schools and federal laboratories to prepare for long-deferred repairs and expansions, plans that appear now to be in jeopardy.
Among the projects at risk is the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York, on Long Island. The $600 million machine � 2.4 miles in circumference � slams together subatomic particles to recreate conditions at the beginning of time, some 14 billion years ago, so scientists can study the Big Bang theory. It was already operating partly on charitable contributions, officials say, and now could shut down entirely, throwing its 1,069 specialists into limbo.
�For us, it�s quite serious,� said Sam Aronson, the Brookhaven director. For the nation, Dr. Aronson added, the timing is especially bad because the collider has given the United States a head start on European rivals, who hope to build a more powerful machine.
�Things are pretty miserable for a year in which people talked a lot about regaining our competitive edge,� Dr. Aronson said. �I think all that�s stalled.�
Another potential victim is the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, where a four-mile-long collider investigates the building blocks of matter. Its director, Piermaria Oddone, said the laboratory would close for a month as most of the staff of 4,200 are sent home.
Congress and the Bush administration could restore much of the science financing in the 2008 budget. Scientists say it would help enormously, but add that senior staff members by that point may have already abandoned major projects for other jobs that were more stable.
Other projects affected by the budget freeze include:
�A $1.4 billion particle accelerator at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee meant to probe the fine structure of materials and aid in cutting-edge technologies. Its opening might be delayed a year.
�A $30 million contribution to a global team designing an experimental reactor to fuse atoms rather than break them apart. Controlled fusion, if successful, would offer a nearly inexhaustible source of energy.
�A $440 million X-ray machine some two miles long at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in California that would act like a microscope to peer inside materials, aiding science and industry. Construction, begun last year, would slow.
�It�s pretty bad,� said Burton Richter, a Nobel laureate in physics. �There�s going to be another year of stagnation. That hurts a lot.�
The National Science Foundation, which supports basic research at universities, had expected a $400 million increase over the $5.7 billion budget it received in 2006. Now, the freeze is prompting program cuts, delays and slowdowns.
�It�s rather devastating,� said Jeff Nesbit, the foundation�s head of legislative and public affairs. �While $400 million in the grand scheme of things might seem like decimal dust, it�s hugely important for universities that rely on N.S.F. funding.�
The threatened programs include a $50 million plan to build a supercomputer that universities would use to push back frontiers in science and engineering; a $310 million observatory meant to study the ocean environment from the seabed to the surface; a $62 million contribution to a global program of polar research involving 10 other nations; and a $98 million ship to explore the Arctic, including the thinning of its sheath of floating sea ice.
Missions at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration are also threatened, with $100 million in cuts. Paul Hertz, the chief scientist at NASA�s science mission directorate, said potential victims included programs to explore Mars, astrophysics and space weather.
Physicists said a partial solution to the crisis would let the Energy Department do what it wanted to do all along for 2007: move $500 million left over from environmental cleanup accounts into the physical sciences. That would require Congressional approval but no budget increase.
Raymond L. Orbach, the department�s under secretary for science, in a recent statement seemed to call for such legislative relief.
�A yearlong continuing resolution takes away many of the opportunities for advancing science,� Dr. Orbach said. �We urge Congress to continue critical investments in America�s scientific leadership.�
hairstyles fancy tattoo lettering
NikNikon
September 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I guess I was doing this technique before I knew it's offical name, here's the last shot I recall.
http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/showphoto.php/photo/40657/ppuser/931
Silly me, I did it the hard way, hand held. :confused:
P.S. Jeff, don't feel bad, I started out with one of those cheap Wal-Mart tripods too. Now that I have a good one the old cheap one comes in handy for my remote flash. So don't throw it out you may be able to reuse it one day.
http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/showphoto.php/photo/40657/ppuser/931
Silly me, I did it the hard way, hand held. :confused:
P.S. Jeff, don't feel bad, I started out with one of those cheap Wal-Mart tripods too. Now that I have a good one the old cheap one comes in handy for my remote flash. So don't throw it out you may be able to reuse it one day.